A Blogger Recognition Award
I had a lovely surprise the other day when Mandy Eve-Barnett nominated me for a Blogger Recognition Award! Her site mandyevebarnett.com is always a great place to pop in and get some writerly wisdom and inspiration!
The recipient of the award is supposed to tell a bit about how their blog started. For me, Catching Fireflies was a leap of faith. I had been a closet writer my entire life, and when I decided to dip my toe into the blogosphere and actually put myself out into the world as a writer, I carried it around like a juicy secret for weeks before I even told my husband. Pressing the very first “publish” button was terrifying. What if people found out!? But here I am, over 500 posts and almost 5 years later and I am still here. I haven’t gone viral, but I have some dedicated followers and I have made many writer friends here in the blog-world.
It started as a place where I could share my journey from wanna-be writer to published author. Over the years, I have added some features like a Monday Morning Pick Me Up to keep us smiling, and I have talked about other areas of my life – the day job, depression, things that keep me from writing. I have had my times when writing felt like a huge struggle, and I have ridden the waves when it has felt like the ultimate roller coaster ride! I wouldn’t trade this journey for anything. 🙂
I am supposed to share two pieces of advice for new bloggers…
- Don’t let fear stop you from putting yourself out there and don’t be afraid to make it personal. You never know what may resonate with your readers.
- Be consistent. I have blogging friends who manage to post every day. I am not one of them! I am amazed by them. But I can consistently post twice each week. When life let’s me I post three times. The only way to create a blogging or writing habit is consistent effort.
The rules of this award for my nominees:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Write a post to show your award.
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
- Select 5 other bloggers for this award.
- Comment on each blog to let them know you nominated them and link to the post you created.
- Add Blogger Recognition Award to your post
My Nominees for Blogger Recognition:
Bee Halton over at The Bee Writes (She is one of those super-prolific blogger friends I mentioned earlier!)
Lauren Xena Campbell at A Gentle Woman and A Scholar (Lauren is newer to the blogging scene but has some lovely posts)
Kate Johnston at The 4a.m. Writer (I have linked to her blog in the past – very inspirational!)
Angela Christina Archer’s Blog where I have found motivation and some yummy recipes!
and Harula at Words that Serve where I have found comfort and poetry!
Please do yourselves a favor and check out these lovely blogs! Inspiration is everywhere!